St. Davids, Pennsylvania is a quiet community in the southeastern part of the state, near Philadelphia. Part of Radnor Township, St. Davids has its own historic train station. When the Pennsylvania Main Line was established, the loose settlement was named for St. Davids Church, an 18th century church and notable landmark in the area. St David is the patron saint of Wales, the country from which most of the area’s European settlers came.
St. Davids is located near I-476 and Lancaster Avenue. This quaint community is 15 short miles away from Philadelphia, making it an ideal location for commuters. Recently, St Davids has experienced a sizable growth spurt in years, but along with its neighboring community, Wayne, both areas retain their quiet, rural charm.
Wayne, Pennsylvania enjoys a long reputation, one going back over one hundred years of being one of the best western suburbs of Philadelphia. The unincorporated community of Wayne can mainly be found in Delaware County, in Radnor Township. It also extends into Tredyffrin Township in Chester County and Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County. Typifying the best in suburban living, Wayne’s median income is very high, and its crime rate is very low. Wayne’s youngsters attend some of the best schools in the Philadelphia area. While many of Wayne’s residents work in professional or executive positions in nearby Philadelphia, Wayne has a growing business district, attracting more and more people to stay and working in Wayne. With several banks, stores, restaurants and other commercial establishments, the historic main street area truly preserves Wayne’s small town atmosphere. Best of all, this quaint, small town is only two hours away from the seashore and mountains, and only a 30 minute train ride from Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station.
The area of Pennsylvania on which Wayne can be found was originally settled by the Quakers in the late 1600’s. Settlement was further encouraged by the establishment of the Lancaster Pike. Opened in 1795, the Lancaster Pike was one of the first planned toll roads in the United States.
Southeastern Pennsylvania remained primarily agrarian until the mid 1800’s when the railroad was established in the area. Called “The Main Line of the Public Works of the State of Pennsylvania, this railroad line ran between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. Seeing development opportunity along this new railroad line, J. Henry Askin, a banker, bought a large amount of farmland adjacent to the railroad. He desired to create a Victoria development that he would call “Louella,” named after his daughters Louisa and Ella.
Askin experienced financial woes after building only a few homes in his community. Askin’s property was bought out by other developers George W. Childs and Anthony Drexel. The community was renamed “Wayne Estate” after Revolutionary War General Anthony Wayne. More homes and a hotel were built, and by 1887 Wayne was billed by its new developers as having “water, light and drainage — the three great conveniences of a large city — by the most approved modern methods.” The Wayne area soon became a favorite country retreat for those from Philadelphia, with the railroad making it possible for many to commute to the city.
As the community of Wayne is spread over many townships and counties, children attend school based on the section of the community in which they reside. Pupils in the Radnor Township portion of Wayne attend schools in Radnor Township School District, while pupils in the Tredyffrin portion attend schools in Tredyffrin/Easttown School District. Those in the northeastern portion of the community in Upper Merion Township attend the Upper Merion Area School District.
There are three high schools in the Wayne area. Students in Radnor Township attend Radnor High School. Tredyffrin Township students attend Conestoga High School. Students in Upper Merion Township attend Upper Merion Area High School. A notable military preparatory school, the Valley Forge Military Academy, is also located in Wayne.